Building / Fire Subcode Official – Full time position with benefits package. This position performs all building and fire subcode duties as required under the New Jersey Uniform Construction Code. Incumbent works under the supervision and general direction of the Construction Official and is responsible for ensuring compliance with building and fire codes through inspections of work in progress and plan review; recommends departmental policies, develops programs and work objectives, and resolves difficult administrative and technical problems; assists in the oversight and/or performance of Building Inspector’s responsibilities. Candidate must have Building Subcode License (HHS required), and Fire Subcode License (HHS preferred).
The following job duties and responsibilities may be added or removed at the Township’s discretion:
- Regularly exercises technical judgement and discretion in performance of duties.
- Works under the supervision and general direction of the Construction Official.
- Enforces the building and fire laws, ordinances and codes relating to the construction of buildings within the township,
- Confers with and advises co-workers and superiors on technical and administrative problems,
- Performs plan reviews and inspections as per applicable State of New Jersey laws, ordinances and codes,
- Reviews for code compliance and proper detail level,
- Inspects the construction site for Code compliance, take appropriate action when discovering a Code violation, maintains record of inspection results on technical sections, informs Technical Assistant when final subcode approval is granted on a project,
- Calculates inspection fee (per device); records on On-going Inspection schedule,
- Prepares Notice of Violation and Order to Terminate (UCC-F211) in duplicate
- Writes clear, concise reports on plan review and inspection findings,
- Assists with phone and drop-in inquiries and inspection scheduling requests
- Assists in the oversight and/or performance of Building Inspector’s responsibilities
Required Education, Certification, License:
Building Subcode License (HHS required); Fire Subcode License (HHS preferred)
Ability to perform approximately 10-15 site inspections of construction sites per day; ability to climb ladders and comfortable with heights, vision and hearing adequate to perform essential job functions, ability to speak and communicate clearly.
A valid NJ Driver’s License and NJ residency are required. If you would like to be considered, please submit your letter of interest and resume to Tamarah Novak, Personnel Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or in person to the Township Administration office, 2261 Route 206, Belle Mead, NJ, 08502. Salary information furnished upon request. EOE.
Posted July 15, 2020