As I announced in early May, the International Code Council Board of Directors decided not to hold an Annual Conference, Expo, and Annual Business Meeting (ABM) in 2020 given the health concerns for large gatherings, a possible resurgence of the virus in the fall, and declining budgets for many building safety departments. Last week the Board met and clarified some of the details, including:
- There will be no officer or board elections this year. All current board member terms will be extended one year. Elections will resume at the 2021 ABM only for those seats that would have been up for election in 2020.
- No bylaw amendments or resolutions will be considered until the 2021 ABM.
- Honorary member nominations for 2020 will be evaluated and recommended by the Honorary Members Committee this year, but the member ratification process will not occur until the 2021 ABM.
- The Major Jurisdiction Committee, Membership Council, and Past Presiding Officers Council fall in-person meetings will not take place. The officer terms for these councils and committees will be extended one year until the 2021 Annual Conference. These groups may continue to meet virtually.
- The Chapter Presidents and Regional Chapter fall in-person meetings will not take place. These groups may continue to meet virtually.
- Most of the 2020 awards will be issued this year and the awardees will be recognized virtually. The exceptions – the President’s Award, William J. Tangye Staff Award, Global Award, and Innovation in Code Administration Award – are on hold until the 2021 Annual Conference.
The Code Council Annual Conference is an event I always enjoy, and I will greatly miss seeing many of you this year. But, safety must come first. I am hopeful that we’ll be back together again in the fall of 2021, and I look forward to getting together then.
COVID-19 continues to impact our industry significantly. I encourage you to check out the Code Council’s Coronavirus Response Center, which offers relevant information for building safety professionals to understand the impact the pandemic has had on the industry. This center has news and resources, free webinars, and tips for going virtual, as well as information on reopening. The Code Council has compiled a guide of safety precautions and considerations for businesses looking to resume in-office activities. Click here for details.
Also not to be missed is the latest episode of the ICC Pulse Podcast on COVID-19 and safety practices for reopening buildings. The Code Council’s Vice President of Innovation Ryan Colker speaks with Chief Executive Officer of the Building Owners and Managers Association Henry Chamberlain and Assistant Director of the Clark County Department of Building and Fire Prevention Sam Palmer.
I know this continues to be a difficult time for many in the industry. The Code Council is here to help you in any way we can. Please contact us at email@example.com or 888-ICC-SAFE (888-422-7233), ext. 0, with any questions.
Greg Wheeler, CBO
Code Council Board of Directors